Wednesday, May 20, 2009

“Privacy and security are those things you give up when you show the world what makes you extraordinary.” - Margaret Cho

Dear Diary,

The last couple of days have been pretty stressful. It isn't due to the fact that I'm switching jobs... No, it's the fact that someone else is moving into my job. I definitely have my own opinions about this person. Now, I had made my opinion quite clear and apparently (
which I should have known better) 'privacy' means nothing. (Yes, I'm a computer teacher and I just typed that sentence.) I guess what I found frustrating too is that I haven't said anything that this person hasn't already said. THEN whoever it was went to the High School union person, who in turn contacted our union person, who contacted me. I had put up a status one day about my feelings from the meeting with the person. When my union person talked with me, she said that there were concerns about that message. (Ummmm, okay. But this was nothing new... Nothing this person hadn't already said themselves. From what I've been told, yes I do think I'm the better teacher. Oh wait... can't say that! That's what I got in trouble for... I think we are both experienced teachers with our own unique qualities.) So it was recommended that I delete them and avoid any unfortunate situations. Fine. I can do that.

Here's where I was irritated, someone listed as a 'friend' in FB was really a 'weasel.' I assume that when I put things up, and am friends with a person, that we have some level of understanding that doesn't have us running and saying, 'Guess what she said.' Again, I feel like this is a conversation I would have with my middle schoolers.

In addition to all that, I have heard other rumors that started to irk me. After talking to a few people to get their thoughts, I decided I would squash rumors by writing an e-mail. I copied in the two principals involved. I had people proof my work, so if I was being a cranky bitch, then they would let me know. They said that this seemed to be an appropriate way to deal with and call it good. (Which I planned on.) Then I was in the office and I was asked to step in to the office. He was wondering what was going on... the HS principal called him about it. Anyways... long story short, I think I was basically told to grow up. Allow rumors and gossip to be said... I'm not sure how that makes me feel, I like the idea of standing up for myself better. The only reason I included the principals was to keep them in the loop. If I woul
d have known that this was the answer, then I wouldn't have included them. I did know that two union reps were contacted and I wanted an end put to it.

Also as an end result, I have set all co-workers to 'limited.' This is the group I created in FB so that they can see ANY of my postings. Apparently there is
someone who is VERY concerned with how things are going in my or this other person's lives. Thanks, but I don't need or have time for those kinds of 'friends.'

Needless to say, a LOUD growl was inserted through out the last couple of days... In addition to the need for Wacko!

On a VERY positive note (and perfect timing), I recieved a letter from a student today. It was the best letter I have received! She was giving me a lot of credit for the person that she really is... However, I think that I did inspire her in someway. She gave it to me during 3rd hour today and as I openned it and read it, I was pratically in tears. It was absolutely wonderful. I've never had a student give me such a note, but oh my goodness. It was the best warm fuzzy every! Thanks RP!

1 comment:

Mrs. R, aka the Rockin' Rooster said...

Here's a little add-on bonus... This was supposed to be a little issue between building reps, done and fixed. I found out this past Sunday that someone, I assume the weasel, had printed out my FB page. Then the page was circulated around the Elementary School. So much for a done issue. Apparently the Elementary staff now have the impression of me that I'm egotistical and basically think my shit doesn't stink. Well... Hmph!

I have a battle ahead... Facebook 'Limited' group definitely got tighter restrictions. I guess what really gets me is that if you think that something isn't right, then come to me first don't make this an ISSUE that will affect my professional. Yes, I wrote those things so I will have to accept the consequences, but if you are on my FB page then send me a message expressing concerns. I only had ONE person call me out on what I said... was not someone I worked with.

I'm moving on... I have accepted my consequences, but lost respect for many people.


This template is brought to you by :AllBlogTools.com Blogger Templates