
Dear Diary,
Now yesterday I wrote about love; today let me write about life. We all know that this is a very tough economy. It's scary how the world is changing. Well teaching is not untouched by the economy. Back in January, my Superintendent did a presentation making budget estimations for next school. We learned that the district would have to cut almost a million dollars from the budget. Yikes! We have lost close to 100 kids this school year. Double Yikes!
Well, three weeks ago was the day of doom. Lucky me, I have good friends who keep their ears open on my behalf. They pulled me aside and told me that they hear something that they weren't supposed to, but that I would be offered a Kindergarten spot. What?!? It's all the toys I have, isn't it? (Damn my need to be goofy!) No, it's not the toys... it's the way the cookie crumbles. At 7:55 am on a Thursday morning, I was to have my meeting. (Please don't let me cry?) I went in and had a seat. Luckily, I was in good spirits... we talked up my new assignment for the 2009-2010 school year, KINDERGARTEN TEACHER!!!
Once the initial shock passed and 'with a little help from my friends,' I'm feeling much better. Their positive words and encouragement have calmed me down so I could think rationally. I'm not to the point where I'm getting excited. There are SOOOOO many wonderful resources out there. Plus, this will give me a chance to practice what I've been preaching. "Adding technology into the classroom!" Now, I know that it won't be easy to add it in a Kindergarten, oops scratch that JUNIOR Kindergarten, classroom.
I forgot to tell you that I met with the head 'Cheff. He explained to me that I wasn't only going to be teaching Kindergarten, but Junior Kindergarten. I will still follow the Kindergarten curriculum, but these are the kids who are younger and/or didn't 'test' well for a full strength Kindergarten. So what does that mean? Parents are under the assumption that their child will go into Kindergarten the following year. (My kids WILL go on to 1st grade!) The funny part is when I was talking with the 'Cheff about using technology and getting on to Computer Lab time schedule, I think he was trying not to laugh out loud. I know I won't be able to get started right a way, but we WILL be in the lab. AND they WILL know how to use tech!
Anyways, changes galore! I'm ready and eager for the challenge. I'm still looking for any and all good tips and tricks, but I'll more eagerly pursue those in the summer. Right now I need to still focus in on my Middle School students. That's still where my heart is. Oh how I'm going to miss them.

No comments:
Post a Comment