Saturday, October 2, 2010

Today's lesson...


Dear Diary,

Well this isn't exactly today's lesson, but it was Wednesday's lesson. We are starting to work our way through our Math Workbooks. We have been working on adding doubles and most times it has some sort of image to help you count too. Well this day was doubles plus one. So the first problem would show the double, let's say 5+5=___ and then the next would should 5+6= ____ .

This young friend is new to the district and struggles academically. He was frustrated with the math and I pulled him back to my small group table to work. I ended up spending 45 minutes convincing him that 5+6 did not equal 12. When we counted four times (the first on his own), three times we got 11. Yes, we pulled out manipulatives to help us count. Here are some of the reasons I was wrong, imagine when you read this that you are an angry 8 year old who is scowling at his teacher as he says this:
  • "I've been doing this since Kindergarten and I KNOW it's 11."
  • "You used a color printer and changed it... my mom has one of those I know how it works."
  • "This school is so dumb... it gives us homework every night."
By the end of the day I almost wanted to just say yes, I see it now... 5+6 is 12.

The honeymoon is over folks!

No comments:


This template is brought to you by :AllBlogTools.com Blogger Templates