Dear Diary,
Who knew when I wrote this post last year around this time, what it would turn into? It all started on Valentine's Day in 2009 to celebrate a mutual friend getting their 10 year green card. I had arrived to the house early, to help with a few little things (giant bucket for the keg). I was introduced to Rockstar. I would never have guessed that this guy hiding in the background of the party, would be the person that I would have fallen in love with. I have him in only one picture from that night...
A friend of mine once said, 'if they are unwilling to commit within six months or a year, then they never will.' He was telling me this as he saw me struggle with a relationship. This message has stuck with me since and I find it to be valuable advice. Relationships have never been easy for me; I feel that part of my past that was out of my control set me up to be challenged in this area. My longest relationship with a man was six months. I have, including now, fallen in love four times, but have only told two of those men. I try to remain friends with exes, eventually, because you found a connection with that person and when the relationships had ended it was because of cheating or lying, but instead just because the relationship had ran it's course.
With Rockstar, I saw and felt something different. We connected in a new way... a much quicker and comfortable way. I was able to truly be myself around him and when I do something, that afterwards I realize was dumb, he accepts me still for it. He truly is perfect for me. We started out as that 'you are DISGUSTING' couple to 'Awwww, you're cute' couple.
Too many times being in love with him was too easy, that I would briefly panic. I kept waiting for a moment to happen where I started to freak out and end the relationship, but it never happened. He moved in after about three months of dating and I questioned myself if it was too soon (because I know some thought it was), but wasn't. It's still perfect!
So today we are taking time to celebrate. We'll have dinner together at Lulu's in Bellaire. Then we'll head down the street to Short's for drinks with friends. Kiki (or maybe it was Kiwi, can't remember) asked why such pressure for everyone to be there... special annoucement? (I wish) My reason was just because our friends are a very important part of relationship with each other. I think it's part of the reason we've been together for so long... not really sure how it connects, but it does. I know this.
We talk a lot about the future: us, kids, camping, barbecue, rugby and so much more. It's such an exciting time to think and dream about where we'll be and who will be along for the journey.

No comments:
Post a Comment